Monday, April 9, 2012

Solid Foods

I haven't really taken the time, or HAD the time to research the different ways that people introduce solid foods into their baby's diet.  At Grayson's 6 month appointment (which I still have to write about), his pediatrician said that he needed to start on solid foods, and that vegetables and fruits are the first things to be introduced.  I have heard of a method where you introduce the same colored foods and then move onto the next color, but I just followed the Pediatrician's advice to wait 3-5 days between offering something new so that I would be able to pinpoint a food if he were to show signs of a food allergy.
I was excited to start trying new flavors with Grayson, so I bought some sweet potatoes to try out first.  He really liked the sweet potatoes the first time (as I have already blogged), but he wasn't really interested in eating them the next two times that I offered them. 
Sweet Potatoes
The next food that I offered to him were apples.  My sister was in town the next weekend and she and I picked them out once when we had run to the grocery store for something.  This was Grayson's first fruit to try, and although he did okay with them the first time he had them, he was not really a fan of them the next time I tried feeding them to him.  He made a sour face every time I put a bite in his mouth.
Apples


Well, maybe he didn't like them this first time either!
The third food we tried with Graybean was squash.  He really seemed to like squash and never turn them down.  I am wondering if his reaction to the squash has more to do with him having more experience eating food now, rather than the taste of squash.
mmmm...squash

The camera is such a distraction!

Squash face
  The last food that we have introduced are bananas.  He really seems to like bananas.  No complaints from him there.  I don't think I have a picture of him eating bananas, but it looks about the same as the pictures above ;).
So far, I guess my method has been veggie-fruit-veggie-fruit.  This week he is up for another veggie, but I don't know what I will end up picking at the grocery store tonight.  My plan is to eventually start making all of his food, but with the move I have not had time to do that yet.  I hope that I will find some time this weekend to research it a little more and make his first batch.  Right now, we are just giving him solid foods once a day.  It usually happens while we are eating dinner, in between his two evening bottles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment