Monday, October 8, 2012

Crying over spilled milk?

Last Wednesday was an eventful day at our house.  Gray woke up with a rash Tuesday morning, but we decided it must be what the Dr. had warned us about (a rash caused by immunizations), so we decided to take him to school.  The rash wasn't any better by Wednesday morning, so we took him to school again, but I decided to call the Nurse's line at the Doctor's office. 

When they called back, I was told that it was a little unusual for the rash to be on his face and extremities if it were caused by the shots, so I made an appointment for that afternoon.  We were in the waiting room for about 30 minutes, and then waited another 30-45 minutes in an exam room before we actually saw the Doctor.  In order to pass the time, I took a few pictures of my poor spotted boy, and let him play with anything in my purse that would distract him.  Being stuck in a small room with a 'busy boy' for that long was quite a treat. :p 

Once the Doctor came in and took a look, he told me that we were dealing with exactly what we thought.  Studies show that 1 in 20 kids get a rash after receiving the MMR vaccine, and we were in that 5%.  Because MMR is a live vaccine, Grayson had a mild form of the measles.  Luckily, he didn't have a fever, and he was only really fussy one day because of it.  He was not contagious, so the Doctor gave us a note for school the next day. 

That night, we met P at a restaurant for dinner, and then he had to go back to the lab.  My plan was to get Grayson home and start our nighttime routine.  As I was preparing his milk, he started getting extremely needy and was under me by the counter looking up...at that exact moment I missed putting the cup on the counter and milk spilled right onto Grayson's face.  He of course started crying screaming and as I tried to wipe it off of his face, I realized that it was all in his hair, and that meant a bath was in order.  My plan to get Grayson to bed as quickly as possible was foiled, but it luckily still ended with a sweet baby boy sleeping peacefully in his crib.  
At our house, we do cry over spilled milk, but sometimes, its justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment