Monday, July 18, 2011

26 Week Appointment

I had my 26 week OB appointment a week ago and got to take the fun glucose test for gestational diabetes.  The way that our OB practice works is to have us see a variety of their doctors so that we are familiar with other doctors if our primary doctor is not available for the delivery.  I have seen about 4 of the OBs that they have on staff, and I really enjoyed the OB I saw this time.

One thing that I have complained to P about is that I don't feel like our doctors keep me informed enough about the baby's progress and the pregnancy in general.  We seem to be operating under the "no news is good news" understanding.  This doctor took the time to go through a mini history of my visits with the practice and stated that everything looked normal or good at each milestone, which we had assumed, but never heard.  When I put my feet up on the patient bed for him to use the fetal heart monitor, he looked at my feet and ankles and said they had a little bit of swelling in them....that's right...26 weeks pregnant and I already have some swelling.  This does not seem to bode well for the rest of this pregnancy!  I guess I will just have to sit with my feet up more often than I thought, shucks.  The Bean's heartbeat was right on target as well as my tummy measurement. 


For the glucose test, I was given a drink that I had about 5 minutes to get down, and then wait an hour.  I have been warned by numerous people that it is absolutely disgusting, but I think they must have changed the flavor, or just have different flavors available at different times.  It just tasted like Orange Drink.  Now, I'm not usually a fan of orange flavored sodas, but my expectations were so low, that this was pretty easy to get down.  Until this pregnancy, I couldn't tell you the last time that I had blood drawn, so I was a little apprehensive about it at first, but it really is not that bad!  Maybe it is just because their technician is so fantastic that she doesn't have to prick me multiple times, but, it just isn't that bad! 

My results came back negative for diabetes, so that was a relief!  The blood test did show that my red blood count is a little low, but not enough for the doctors to be concerned.  P just made sure to take me out for a steak on our anniversary to increase my iron intake :) .  Nothing wrong with having to eat a few more steaks in life!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment